*Tory Lanez has filed a motion to appeal the conviction in his Megan Thee Stallion shooting case but Los Angeles County prosecutors said his claims “lack substance.”
Lanez’s legal team wants a new trial because, as Uproxx reports, they claim the judge “erroneously allowed” jurors to watch “a September 2020 Instagram post from Lanez’s personal account claiming Megan’s now-estranged best friend Kelsey Harris was not the shooter.”
According to Hip Hop DX, the prosecutors have cited a number of reasons why the artist is not entitled to a new trial. First, defendants must demonstrate a reversible error or other defects in order to be granted a new trial, and there was no ‘defect’ in the original trial — as the prosecution pointed out.
Secondly, Lanez’s Sixth Amendment right to counsel was not violated, and the evidence – including the DNA evidence – was not improperly admitted. As well, no objections were raised to his alleged “improper” evidence at trial, which makes it legal under the letter of the law, as Hip Hop DX reports.
READ MORE: Tory Lanez Files Motion for New Trial in Megan Thee Stallion Shooting Case
Late last year, the rapper — whose legal name is Daystar Peterson — was convicted of assault and felony weapons charges for shooting Meg in the feet during a 2020 argument in the Hollywood Hills. He is facing a maximum potential sentence of 22 years and eight months in state prison. The sentencing date is set for April 10.
“Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge David J. Herriford is scheduled to consider Lanez’s new trial request Monday (April 10) at 10:30 a.m. Lanez was to be sentenced that day if Herriford rejects the motion, but the sentencing is now expected to be delayed to late April or early May,” wrote Meghann Cuniff, the Law & Crime reporter on her Substack page.
We reported previously that Lanez hired famed lawyer Jose Baez, who fiercely defended Casey Anthony during her 2011 murder trial. Anthony was ultimately acquitted of murdering her daughter, Caylee Anthony. Baez hosted on TMZ Live where he explained that Lanez should have hired him sooner.
“I can tell you looking at this case, I certainly wish I had come in sooner as opposed to later, and unfortunately, this is the way it is, but he’s got me now,” said Baez. “I am willing to give him everything I have and hopefully we’ll get the best result possible for him.”
The post Prosecutors React to Tory Lanez’s Motion for New Trial appeared first on EURweb.